Penfold’s Building, former Cable Tram Building, cnr Victoria Pde & Brunswick St, Fitzroy (Summer 2010)

In 2008/09, ADMS was engaged in a long battle to preserve a former cable-car engine house that had been given a Moderne makeover in 1936 when it was converted to the headquarters of Penfolds Wines in Victoria. Eventually VCAT issued a demolition permit and the building was finally demolished in December 2009. It highlights the difficulty of preserving buildings that …

Penfold’s Building, former Cable Tram Building, cnr Victoria Pde & Brunswick St, Fitzroy (Spring 2008)

Following the granting of a demolition permit by the Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal (VCAT), the distinctive Fitzroy building was nominated by ADMS to the Victorian Heritage Register. The Executive Director of Heritage Victoria rejected the nomination and the State Planning Minister has since decided that the building not be included on the Register. It would appear that the building …

Penfold’s Building, former Cable Tram Building, cnr Victoria Pde & Brunswick St, Fitzroy (Winter 2008)

This former Cable Car building in Fitzroy was the subject of a review by the Historic Buildings Council to examine whether it should be included on the Victorian Heritage Register. However, the Committee determined that it did not have the power to make the determination as there had not been a formal nomination of the building. ADS lodged a nomination …

Penfold’s Building, former Cable Tram Building, cnr Victoria Pde & Brunswick St, Fitzroy (Spring 2007)

Despite numerous objections from the City of Yarra, ADS and local residents, the Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal (VCAT) has granted a permit for the demolition of this distinctive building and its replacement with a twelve storey building. It had started life as an engine house for cable car trams in the 1880s and received a Moderne makeover in 1936 …

Penfold’s Building, former Cable Tram Building, cnr Victoria Pde & Brunswick St, Fitzroy (Autumn 2007)

The former cable-car tramway system is a major part of Melbourne’s rich history. The system was replaced by electric trams during the 1920s, but the majority of the buildings that housed the trams (and the cables) remain standing, albeit re-used for other purposes. A number were re-modelled extensively in the 1930s – promient architect Harry Norris created a car showroom …