Lonsdale House, Lonsdale St, Melbourne (Summer 2009)

The Myer Corporation and their corporate bankers, Colonial First State, have announced that they intend to lodge an application with the City of Melbourne for the demolition of Lonsdale House, a wonderful example of Moderne styling on an interwar commercial building. In 1934, the noted Melbourne architect, IG Anderson, transformed two 19th Century warehouses and capped the new building with …

Lonsdale House, Lonsdale St, Melbourne (Spring 2009)

The decision by the Victorian Planning Minister to issue a permit for the demolition of Lonsdale House has resulted in significant community outrage, with incredulous citizens asking how a government (supported by the City of Melbourne) could allow this to happen. During August a public rally was held, and thousands of signatures have been collected to present to the politicians …

Yule House, Little Collins St, Melbourne (Winter 2009)

ADMS has nominated two of Melbourne’s best interwar buildings for inclusion on the Victorian Heritage Register – Mitchell House, on the corner of Elizabeth St and Lonsdale St (Harry Norris, 1936) and Yule House, 309-311 Little Collins St (Oakley & Parkes, 1932). It has long been recognised that Moderne buildings are under-represented on the Register and it is our aim to …

Lonsdale House, Lonsdale St, Melbourne (Autumn 2009)

The Myer Corporation and Colonial First State have lodged an application for Stage 2 of the redevelopment of the Myers store complex in Lonsdale Street, Melbourne. Because of the size of the project, the Minister of Planning is the Responsible Authority, rather than the City of Melbourne. The application includes the proposal to demolish Lonsdale House. The developers have also …

Lonsdale House, Lonsdale St, Melbourne (Summer 2008)

Lonsdale House is one of Melbourne’s most iconic Art Deco buildings, largely due to it’s geometric tower. ADS was informed that it was proposed to be demolished as part of the ‘re-development’ of the Myer Lonsdale St store. We have now nominated it to the Victorian Heritage Register and to the National Trust Register, at a State level.