The McPherson’s Building at 546-566 Collins Street (Reid & Pearson, in association with Stuart Calder, 1936/7) is a classic streamline moderne building, characterised by horizontal lines and featuring terracotta faience and black vitrolite. It was recently sold and it was feared that only the facade would be retained. However, we are delighted that the new owners intend to maintain its original character and restore its design features.
The proposal is for a retail complex on the ground floor and mezzanine (as per its original use), with apartments on the floors above. A new floor will be added, but will be set back and not visible from the street.
ADS is providing assistance and advice and the proposed development is also endorsed by Heritage Victoria.